Police shot down Havelocks in style to qualify for final four


Police SC dominated the game with some solid rugby talent despite losing both their league matches, at the race course stadium. Cops outplayed Havelocks Sports Club 34 (T5, C3, P1) to 20 (T2, C2, P2)

Though the kick off was made by Police, it wasn’t a good start for the lads in the pink jersey. Former Isipathana captain Senal Deelaka had a huge hit on his head from Filimoni Seru’s attack. Concussion management is something that SLRFU should consider immediately.

In the 12th minute scrum half Sudam Sooriarachchi ran passing the defenders from a scrum down almost ending up near the try line not forgetting to offload the ball to Seru who managed to push off couple of defenders to score the first try for cops. Fullback Eranda Weerakkody added the extras.

Few minutes later Fly half Dulaj Prera booted 2 penalties consecutively to change the numbers on the score board. Havelocks were one point down,with 07-06 score.

After a few passages of play, Police had full control of the game and Eranda Weerakkody’s punt was chased by Sudam who sprinted past the Tuskers winger Sandun Herath and scored the try. Weerakkody played his match of the season so far, he was in a great shape with his kicking game and also playing as first receiver in attack and playing at the back in defence.

Just before the breather Sudam interrupted Kavindu Costa’s box kick near the try line. Collecting the ball from the dash, Sudam landed on the try line smoothly increasing the score.

Half time : Police 26 – 06 Havies

The start after the break was pretty bad for Havies as loose head prop forward Ganuka Disanayake was awarded a yellow card for going late on Weerakkody. This time the penalty was taken by Apisai which hit the post and went scoreless. Fly half Rimzi Jamaldeen booted over the next penalty without a fail due to a Havies infringement.

Park Club managed to place their first try in the 63rd minute with the help of Dhanushka Ranjan. A dazzling run of 30 meters straight without getting caught to any of the tackles Ranjan finaly gave some hope for his team. Dulaj made no mistake with the conversion. (Police 29-13 Havelocks)

Sticking around in the police territory for more than 10 minutes to make a difference in the score, Havies however, awarded a penalty try by the referee Rankothge after collapsing scrum twice by the Cops. Dulaj did not wait till the kicking key as the time running out instead a good drop goal conversion.

At the final stages of the game falling back to the Havies defense line, Cops worked more with the backs by running with the ball. Skipper Sudharshana Muthuthanthri stole the ball from the ruck to run beyond his opponents, but Rimzi Jamaldeen was awarded a yellow card for making a neck tackle on Muthuthanthri.

Havies have to blame themselves for the poor show,  their hopes were flattened by the Cops, when Apisai made a brilliant tackle and turned over the ball then went under the post with an eye catching show piece.

ThePapare player of the match : Sudam Sooriyarachchi.


Police will be taking over the winners of the Navy VS Air Force match tomorrow at the same venue.