Hambanthota Sharks tastes their maiden triumph.


An invigorated Hambanthota Sharks registered a morale-boosting 38-32 win over CH&FC in a thrilling Dialog Rugby League 2014/15 encounter to end off the 6th weeks’ proceedings at Race Course Rugby Stadium on Sunday.

Six tries scored by the Hambanthota Sharks boys secured their maiden victory in the Dialog Rugby League 2014/15 after four consecutive defeats. The match got underway at the scheduled time of 4.00pm with Sharks outside-half Chamara Kumara kicking off.

Inside the second minute of the game CH&FC center Tamra Ioane got the scoreboard ticking when he chased down Rimzie Jamaldeen`s clearance kick and caught the highball and touched under the post. CH&FC led the game seven nil with Jamaldeen bisecting the uprights. Sharks rising up from early pressure squared the game in the fourteenth minute when NO.08 Rizwan Nazad sucked in the defenders and offloaded the ball to Chamara Kumara who made no mistake in touching the ball in the far left corner. Amjad Bucksh sailing the ball over added the extra points to level the game. (Sharks -07 CH&FC – 07)

Sharks picked up momentum in the game when they stuck to the basics and worked the line in a fine manner which created the over laps in the defense and Sharks center Emori Waqa scored his first try few meters away from the left pole. Conversion failed. (Sharks – 12 CH&FC – 07)

CH&FC missed out many opportunities to score due to poor ball handling and bad clearance kicks. The pressure was eased a bit off the shoulder when the referee penalized the Sharks for pushing the opposition line and Rimzie Jamaldeen sailed the ball over the cross bar to reduce the deficit by three points. The second penalty was awarded in the twenty ninth minute where the ball bisected the two bars off Jamldeen`s boots. Maitland crescent lads lead the game in quick succession with the two penalties awarded. (Sharks – 12 CH&FC -13)

Sharks were in fine tune playing into the CH&FC defense line penetrating inch by inch gaining territory even though they lead the game. Center Emori nearing the 10m mark chipped the ball over the defense line of CH&FC when Sitiveri Waqa who chased it down and collected it then kissed the lawn to shift the game back into their hands during the thirty fifth minute of the game. Bucksh converting this crucial try added the extra point before the whistle blew out for lemons.

Half time – Hambanthota Sharks – 19 CH&FC – 13

After a short break, the Sharks stepped into defend the points they have scored during the first phase of the game. CH&FC showed some momentum after catching up the words of Coach  when they passed the ball swiftly across the hands of Dushantha Peris to Irwin Roger who passed on to winger Rajitha Sansoni who dashed down the left stretch to score CH&FC`s second try of the game. Jamaldeen bisecting relived the lost hopes. (Sharks-19 CH&FC – 20)

Though CH&FC played well during the starting minutes they let their momentum slip away and displayed  some lame rugby making frivolous mistakes in the field. Emori who charged up with the turn over ball once again chipped it off his boots and chased it down making defenders mere spectators when he caught the ball and scored the try to bring back the lead.  Bucksh bought courtesy to the exquisite try when he added extra points.

(Sharks – 26 CH&FC- 20)

CH&FC deteriorated after, with messy line outs and atrocious ball handling which prevented a number of chances to cross over the line. The opponent fullback Rumesh Ramada’s capitalizing on the mistakes dashed through the bulwark of defenders and offloaded the ball to Sitvirei who followed him right behind to do the final touch. Amjad continuing his consistency sailed the ball through and helped his outfit to lead the game by thirteen points. Even before the CH lads could breathe, Joseph Dunn struck again in the far right corner with a pick and go and Bucksh converting the try maintained an eighty percent kicking consistency in the game. (Sharks – 38 CH&FC -20)

The game was sealed off and was far out of reach for the Maitland crescent lads, yet fighting for lost glory they managed to score off a try after working the line and Chilanka Samaraweera touched the ball. Jamaldeen failing to bisect settled the dispute of the scoreboard into a difference of six points. With extremely scrappy set pieces CH&FC never really showed the quality expected of a club rugby team. The defense that they put together on the field was not much to speak of and is likely an indicator of a tough season for the lost hand of club rugby in the nation.

Full time – Hambanthota Sharks – 38 (6T 4C) CH&FC – 32 (4T 3C 2P)

The Papare.com player of the match – Emori Waqa (Hambanthota Sharks)    


CH&FC coach Bilal Yousuf sharing his thoughts exclusively with ThePapare.com said “It was a game that we should have won but the silly mistakes by the boys cost us the game. We lost the game, what more to tell.”



Hambanthota Sharks: Udaya Kumara, Ijase Mohammed, Gayan Dilshan, Niraj Gurusinghe, Janik Jayasooriya, Sitiweri Waqa, Rizvi Mohammed, Rizvan Nazar, Amjard Bucksh, Chamara Kumara, Lahiru Sachintha, Priyantha Ekanayake, Emori Waqa, Ashan Jayasekara, Rumesh Ramadas, Shehan Perera, Sampath Supun, Pubudu Kodagnada, Praveen Smarasooriya, Lahiru Mudalige, Rizwan Mohammed, Joseph Dunn, Rajitha Smaranayake.

CH&FC: Sanjeewa Priyadharashana, Hamza Hassan, Eroshan De Alwis, Vasula Wimalawera, Hasthika Bandaranayake, Chilanka Smamaraweera, Radeesha Senevirathene, Pusti Vakalz, Zulker Hameed, Rimze Jamaldeen, Eranda Ranweera, Tamara Ioane, Dilshan Kelaniyagoda, Rajitha Sansony, Dushantha Peris, Kokila Hiran, Dilusha Pathirakumara, Irwin Roger, Gaytan Rathnage, Uthpala Saranga, Musheen Faleel, Dinesh Lakshan, Sexan Salib.