Cops surrender to the airmen


A dazzling performance by the bottom team of the Dialog Rugby League, who hosted the Police SC at Ratmalana. Air force scored twice as much as the visitors to seal the first win of the season with 44 (T6, C4, P2) to 22 (T4, C1)

Apisai Naqaliva scored two quick tries within eight minutes of play and Police led 12 – 00. Police played with the wind their plan was to kick and put the opposition in trouble by the wind. Certainly that plan worked with outside half Richard Lawson kicking the ball high which had Charith Senevirathna fumbling twice. Cops capitalized the error made by the hosts and Apisai said thank you very much twice over. (Air Force 00 – 12 Police)

Nuwan Perera the Air force fly half played the match of the season with his kicking and decision making. He had a poor outing last week at Nittawela but haing learnt the lessons proved he is a fast learner. He also scored 20 points with two brilliant tries and made 4 out of 6 conversions and 2 penalties in an unfavorable condition for the kickers with the strong wind. The hosts came to the Police 22m Prasad Malinda sent from the ruck and Nuwan simply outfoxed his opposite number to score his first try and he converted his try. (Air Force 07 – 12 Police)

The momentum suddenly changed in favor of the hosts. Form the breakdown Police pass was taken by the wind and Vilekesa Koilage picked the ball and sent out wide to his countryman Opeti Delana who made an astonishing 45m run to touch down in the left flank. Pium Jayasinghe and Hashan Gomes the captain had no chance catching Delana. Four minutes later Koilage made a storming 55m run and he off loaded to Dilana to score his second under the post. Lawson kicked high once again Apisai had the chance to seal another hat-trick but he knocked-on. Minutes before half time Police infringement in ruck resulted in another three points for the hosts. (Air Force 22 – 12 Police)

Halt Time – Air Force 22 (T3, C2, P1) – Police 12 (T2, C1)

No one knows better to use the wind at the airforce ground than Nuwan Perera. After the change of sides he showed great spark with his kicking ability. Three minutes in to the third quarter Airmen were able to control ball possession and territory. Ranil Madagedera dummied Apisai and made a scintillating try. Cops feeling the pressure and their body language weakened but Eranga Weerakkody showing what he is capable off with a chip and chase and then a lovely off load to Pium Jayasinghe who sprinted to the corner. (Air Force 27 – 17 Police)

Heshan Gunarathne had a chance to touch down but was held up inside the try line by Koilagi. Hosts had the better percentage in territory, inside the opposite 22m and Nuwan received the ball from the ruck which he dummied and scored his second try despite missing a drop goal attempt minutes before. Soorya Krishan came in to the show with a blazing solo try which was the try of the match. (Air Force 44 – 17 Police)

Cops could not cope with the pressure and lost the game plan. Apisai was well marked after scoring early. Amal Dasanayake coming from the bench to strengthen the Air Force pack, had an infringement in the ruck sending him back to the bench without even being a minute on the field. The visitors with a man advantage made a consolation try by Pasindu Yasantha seconds before the final whistle.

Full Time – Air Force 44 (T6, C4, P2) – Police 22 (T4, C1)

Referee – D. Nimal

ThePapare Player of the match – Nuwan Perera (Air Force)